blue

Know first who you are and then adorn yourself accordingly - Epictetus

21 March 2011

Last Chance to Wear?

Rock&Roll Cafe
Although I am loath to admit it, I am getting to the age where all of a sudden my friends are getting married, buying houses and starting families. A little scary considering I’m not long out of university. I have been noticing a trend toward getting married younger and younger among my friends and acquaintances that directly contradicts what the newspapers are trying to tell me, i.e. that I will be old and wrinkly with shrivelled, lifeless ovaries before I even think about getting married and procreating because I am too selfishly wrapped up in my career to notice that my body is decaying around me. Fun.

So, what the hell does this have to do with my wardrobe? Well, I have an undeniable penchant for dressing like a school girl. Currently, I am wearing a kilt I bought in Edinburgh (unfortunately it is an ex’s clan tartan but I still like it), navy v-neck sweater, black tights and my favourite black patent brogues (they look like Darth Vader’s helmet… if he was a cone head). And whilst this may seem to directly controvert my whole concept of creating a classic French-style wardrobe, close observation of French girls my own age has led me to believe that they too like to have a little fun with their wardrobe, supplementing in a few carefully edited chain-store items each season whilst still maintaining their core wardrobe of quality classic items.

With that in mind I decided to invest in a (fake) leather pleated skirt. I bought it on eBay for much less than the original price and made myself plan at least five outfits to go with it pre-purchase. I have also instituted the “1-in, 2-out” rule in my wardrobe which basically means I pawn off items to charity shops, eBay or friends every time I buy anything. One such friend has spent the whole day twirling around the office, receiving compliments off everyone about her lovely new skirt. Hilarious.

Anyway, I know this skirt has a limited lifespan – no one wants to see a thirty-year-old non-fashion-magazine editor in a leather skirt… not that I am turning thirty anytime soon – but I am determined to have fun with fashion without wasting money on items that don’t suit me and which I will never wear. Each item will have to pass the rigorous Outfit Test and fit in with the rest of my classics.

Further to my current leather fetish I also bought a pair of intensely 80s high-waisted black leather pants on eBay for $10. Don’t worry I’m not having an out of body hipster experience. After reading some posts on A Pair & A Spare about DIY leather shorts I decided to have a go. And I was rather impressed with the result. They actually go great with my collection of Breton tops and the McQueen scarf that I bought in London the last time I was there. They look a lot the ones in the picture but I have paired them with a black wide belt I already owned to pull them right in, so as to emphasise my waist and avoid looking whale-esque. Score.

Shopping in the Marais
*Update*
The 4-5 Seasonal Items purchase index:
-leather skirt
-leather shorts
-black loafers
-…
-…

2 comments:

  1. ha! brilliant. i'm always one for keeping a pair (or a spare!) of leather pants in one's wardrobe when the mood strikes to add a bit of Bowie to one's weekday look.

    and thanks for stopping by my blog! am very happy to find yours as well and i suspect we will be commenting back and forth quite a bit as we seem to share style philosophies in common. 1 in, 2 out is an excellent way to balance out editing/shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww my first comment! Very nice to meet you :) and can I add: the 1 in, 2 out rule is harder than it looks! haha

    ReplyDelete

give me some comment love... you know you want to ;)